Supplier Quality Engineer
Research, design and development
Professional, Engineer & Manager
The Supplier Quality Engineer is responsible for preparing quality inspection documents to use and be used by the supplier, and to ensure quality processes are followed by suppliers. They will work towards building and maintaining relationships with suppliers to better understand their processes while offering assistance as well as training to make sure their deliverables meet Safran Test Cells' quality standards. Additionally, they will travel to various supplier locations both nationally and internationally to conduct quality inspections, and ensuring that inspection findings are closed prior to the product shipping from the factory.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- • Build and maintain relationships with suppliers to ensure they understand and conform to STC quality standards.
- • Visit various suppliers and closely monitor all product manufacturing phases ensuring quality adherence throughout the process communicating concerns and coordinating corrective action activities as necessary.
- • Review raw materials list for product build ensuring they comply with STC and customer quality specifications as well as specific contract requirements.
- • Assist with writing and ensuring completion of Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) during order execution and prior to product shipment from the supplier factory to satisfy On Time Quality and On Time Delivery requirements.
- • Follow the company's QMS FAT requirements for properly recording and storing the suppliers' manufacturing quality records and documentation to include all communication documents.
- • Participate with the Supply Chain in the performance evaluation of Suppliers.
- • Assist with the development and training of best practices for all suppliers resulting in ongoing conformance to STC processes and PO requirements.
- • Continually seek opportunities for improvement as it relates to cost saving ways to produce quality products and ensure on-time delivery.
- • Document lessons learned during each project and report the lessons to the Quality team.
- • Actively participate in a continuous improvement culture providing recommendations and implementing enhancements to current methods and procedures.
- • Lead or participate in 8D root cause analysis and corrective action projects as the needs arise.
- • Conduct internal and supplier quality audits as the needs arise.
- • Other duties as assigned.
The above position description is intended to describe the general content, identify the essential job functions, and set forth the requirements for the performance of the position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of job functions or requirements. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested. Position responsibilities are subject to change over time in order to accommodate changing organizational needs.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
The majority of the time is spent in a typical office environment, at a customer site, or at the supplier factory requiring the ability to use a computer and telephone which requires sitting, standing and typing for extended lengths of time. Occasionally, the individual in this position will need to stand, reach, bend, lift up to 50 pounds, stoop, and kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include normal vision. The office environment will have normal lighting and climate control tolerances. Additionally, the office setting will have moderate noise exposure, i.e. business office with computers, printers, light traffic. Travel conditions may involve being in an aircraft or automobile for extended periods of time. Safran Test Cells is a global company and travel to any country may be required. Work is performed at a minimum of 40 hours a week.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The working conditions and requirements indicated here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic data or other legally protected status.
- • Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field highly preferred.
- • Associates degree required or 5+ years of experience as a Supplier Quality Engineer.
- • 2+ years of related work experience in product inspection or manufacturing processes required.
- • Desired knowledge in:
o Assembly (mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and electrical)
o ISO 9001-based Quality Management Systems
- • Strong interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written with a proven ability to be assertive yet approachable delivering a positive customer service and team experience.
- • Basic understanding of inspection processes including component measurement techniques, specifications and drawings.
- • Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; actively seeks opportunities to improve and promote quality and monitors own work to ensure quality is met.
- • Self-motivated, organized, able to multi-task, prioritize and excel in a fast-paced environment while exercising initiative and judgment as well as making decisions within scope of assigned authority.
- • Proficient with MS Office programs to include Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Specificity of the job
Able and willing to travel 30+% of the time both domestically and internationally, as required.
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 84,000 employees and holds, alone or in partnership, world or European leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap.
Safran is featured on the "Happy at work" rankings. The Group places fourth on the Capital ranking for best employers in France.
Safran Aero Boosters designs, develops and manufactures low-pressure compressors, equipment and test cells for aerospace propulsion. The company's products are on board the majority of commercial aircraft in service as well as Europe's Ariane launch vehicle. Based in Liège (Belgium), Safran Aero Boosters has two subsidiaries in the United States and employs 1,800 people.